Monday, April 23, 2007

Stab Me In The Back, Shoot Me In The Face, Swing And A Miss (Swing And A Miss)

Got up this morning and packed my lunch expecting to be working for my dad on a nice sunny morning. Then the phone rang and the whole day was flipped around.

The temp people over at Derby called my up and told me they had a job for me this week and forever and ever. Derby hasn't called me in a few months so it was odd and unexpected. The job isn't far away so thats a big plus for me, thats the best plus i can think of.

I've worked at this place a few times last summer so its been a year. I walked in to see the same cast of characters hunting the place.

The woman that looks like a crazy cat person, she offers cookies to everyone.

The man that looks like Dr. Phil, he likes to talk groceries and Realty TV.

The guy who looks like cousin Sal from Jimmy Kimmel Live. (he talked to me about getting a trade and getting money, he said something like "You don't want to be some gay artist or something do ya? course not!"

The rest of the group of guys talk about UFC and look at workout magazines. "Guess how much i can bench press."

Some new faces. One guy i named "G-unit guy". I call him that because he wears a $400 outfit to work. This place works with chemicals and the smell hits you right when you enter the building and stays with you till you wash your shit. I wear a T-shirt i got for free and a pair of jeans that my mom probably found on the side of the street. I guess he has to represent and keep it real where ever he goes.

and of course the mandatory Jamaican guy who's only response to anything is "Yes! Ok!".

The job is all about fast fingers. You grab nuts and bolts and other random metal and place them on racks, Tons of pinching. Years of video games do nothing for me.

It might be fine for now but who knows how long it takes before i break. I'll be good for this week then I'll think about it. This bullshit is $8.50 an hour. I can get something better.

Last year my hours for this job were 2:00pm till 12:00am. Now that sucked.

I'm just waiting for one of the sharp metals to rip one of my finger nails off. I can see it happening. My fingers already have cuts and this is only day one.

Having a temp job means not working for my dad. Not working for my dad means that my dad is never angry at me for something stupid i did at work. Maybe the best part of a temp job.

(I have the band "The Pillows" on these days. It's a Japanese band and i don't understand a word of it.)

No comments: